Saturday, July 28, 2012

Let the Games begin

Today (July 27 or 28 for those of us in Australia) is the beginning of the XXX Olympiad, better know as London 2012.

For us Aussies, if we wanted to watch the Opening Ceremony live, we had to get up at 6am & I did.

So what did I think?



Well I know little bits about the history of the UK. Considering it is where our ancestors came from, I think I probably should know more.

The industrial revolution part of the ceremony confused me (It was in the 1800's wasn't it?). It then progressed quickly through the 1900's to today, with references to The Beatles, Mary Poppins & Music from the 60's, 70's & 80's (all artists from the UK). HRH Queen Elizabeth II made an appearance as a Bond girl & even Mr Bean got a gig.

As quickly as the entertainment started, it ended & then came the parade of athletes.

David Beckham accompanied the Olympic Flame up the Thames in a boat, then it was past to one of the UKs famous Olympians (sorry, I can't remember who). The flame was passed on to 7 Young Olympians of the future, who were chosen by 7 of the UKs greatest athletes. These 7 then lit 204 copper petals (204 competing teams), which then joined together to become the Olympic Cauldron.

So the Games have now been official opened & in less than 3hrs, the competition begins.

Will you be watching?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hi There, I am...

My photo
I'm a Brisbane Lions AFL Fan, an Obsassenach of Outlander, a My Peak Challenge Aussie Peaker, a Parkrunner & a Mum of Twins. -- Life is full of fun & games.

Let's go back... way back.

Popular Posts