Monday, February 3, 2014

I Must Confess… I am a Sports Nut

Today on I Must Confess, Kristy asks "After a month’s worth of wall to wall cricket and tennis, have you had enough, are you keen for more or are you completely and utterly indifferent?"


I Love Sport


My weekly fix of AFL returns again from next week & hopefully I will re-start my Footy Frenzy blog hop. I'm looking forward to the Winter Olympics & I'm currently watching the Superbowl (not that I know the rules) as I type. I didn't really get into the tennis this year & one sport I don't like, is soccer.

I have been following the cricket thought, both the Big Bash & the Ashes. Once upon a time, I could take or leave cricket. That was until I discovered this Fantastic online cricket commentary called Test Match Sofa.

Test Match Sofa began as a group of guys & girls, broadcasting an online cricket commentary, from Sofa Dan's bedroom. It was a basic broadcast, but it was fantastic.

They didn't just talk about cricket. During the innings break, the would play The Birthday Game. Dan would read out names from The Guardian & his fellow commentators or guests, would have to guess the person's age. It doesn't sound to interesting or fun, but trust me, in real life, it was a hoot.

The Sofa would also have jingles for every player. They would play a jingle when the batters enter the field, or when there was a change of bowler. They even had jingles for fours, sixes, wickets, wides... you name it, there was a jingle for it.

From there, the Sofa progressed to other places of broadcast, but have been recently broadcasting from Sports Tonight Live (an online TV sports channel).

The sad thing is, during the last day of the 5th Ashes test, Sofa Dan announced he was leaving the Sofa. His fellow commentator Hendo, also announced he was leaving.

Well last night as again Australia thrashed England for the 12th time this summer, it was like Test Match Sofa was ending, even though Dan keep saying the Sofa would go on. People were tweeting there memories of the sofa, like the big diva cup discussion of a few year ago. Yes, a bunch of guys commentating of cricket, got into a long discussion about diva cups.

The best thing about the Sofa, was it was listener/tweeter driven. At any one time, there would be one person commentating, one person on special comments & one person on tweets & jingles.

Even I am discussing them past tense. I really hope the Sofa returns, even if we have to wait until the English summer, although having the Sofa around for the T20 World Cup would be good.

So that's me. I am a sports nut & I Love Test Match Sofa!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hi There, I am...

My photo
I'm a Brisbane Lions AFL Fan, an Obsassenach of Outlander, a My Peak Challenge Aussie Peaker, a Parkrunner & a Mum of Twins. -- Life is full of fun & games.

Let's go back... way back.

Popular Posts