Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Grocery Challenge #2

I just did a grocery shop & think I'm going to blow our budget already.

I bought things I need for our menu plan, & a few things missing from my pantry, that appears on the $120 Dollar Food Challenge – Stocking a Pantry - The Basics list (I have a pantry full of stuff that is past it's used by & that I have never used. Best to buy things I will need).


Sandra does say that when she started, it cost her $180 to stock her pantry, so I think I'll just buy bits & pieces as I need, then I should have a good 'food bank' in no time.

Here's a list of my purchase:
Milk 3L - $3
Bread 650g - $1.29
Diced Tomatoes 400g (2 x 69c ea) - $1.38
White Sugar 3kg - $3.15
Plain Flour 1kg - 95c
Self Raising Flour 1kg - 95c
Custard Powder 350g - $1.19
Gravy Mix 425g - $1.49
Long Grin Rice 1kg - $1.89
Fresh Hokkien Noodles 450g - $1.99
Frozen Stir Fry Veg 1kg - $4.90
Cat Food 85g (20 x 80c) - $16
Sweet & Sour Simmer Sauce 500g - $1.89
Soft Drink 2L - $1.99
Chocolate Biscuits 200g (3 x $1.66) - $4.98
Cereal (Brand Name) 500g - $5.99
Reusable Containers 4pk (2 x $2) - $4
Total (minus staff discount) - $54.18

So that means I have around $66 for the rest of this week & next. Take milk & bread out of that every day or so & it's going to be a big fat fail.

I'm going to have to take inventory of what is in the freezer. I do know that there are some things on that list that I don't need & that aren't a necessity & others, that would be cheaper to make from scratch.

I might have to change our menu plan this week depending on what I find, or just put the added cost down to the new & improved pantry stock.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hi There, I am...

My photo
I'm a Brisbane Lions AFL Fan, an Obsassenach of Outlander, a My Peak Challenge Aussie Peaker, a Parkrunner & a Mum of Twins. -- Life is full of fun & games.

Let's go back... way back.

Popular Posts